Monday 18 May 2015


Do you mind? - 4 Weeks of mental renewal


This was the title of an email I received about 6 weeks ago during a normal workday. It turned out to become the start of a positive adventure.

Throughout my live, on and off, I practiced meditation. When I did it, I liked it. But I never turned it into a habit. Actually during the times where I probably needed it the most I didn't meditate. Why? Busy, busy, not enough time, to stressed to think about it. Excuses!

I decided to sign up for the 4 weeks of mental renewal challenge. And I also decided to commit to it, to take it serious. Now at the end of the 4 weeks I know that these decisions were very important and powerful.

In the two weeks between the first email and the start of the challenge I became curious. I sort of unofficially started to practice meditation (that was how it felt 'unofficial') and was wondering if and how this challenge would be beneficial to me. The question ' do I really need this challenge, since I already started?' popped into my mind.
It took me a while to figure out that I did need the challenge, as this was what got me started. I also needed some time to figure out that it was a personal challenge, not a competition. The only one who would ever see my meditation log, was going to be me, unless I decided to show it to someone. It was for me no one else.

From day one of the challenge onwards I received a daily email from the challenge. There was always a nice quote, some tips and tricks and links to meditation apps, websites and music. I decided to try some of the apps.

Up till then, I meditated in stillness. It turned out that it was sometimes very hard to not follow my thoughts, very hard, I got distracted. Since I hadn't practiced meditation for some time I accepted that this was natural, not to worry and to go with the flow. I also decided that it might be a little easier with guided meditation.
I downloaded the 'Headspace' app. 10 days of free 10 minute meditation. During the 10 days there are also a number of very nice animations that explain a little more bout meditation. A great introduction and it was easy to find the 10 minutes each day. I actually looked forward to the next meditation and towards the end of the 10 days was surprised how quickly the meditations went by. In the end I didn't sign up to the full content, only because I simply don't like to subscribe to something.

Later in the month I also tried another app called 'Buddhify'. It is sort of a meditation wheel. You choose the moment described on the wheel that suits your situation at that moment (like Waking Up, Traveling, Waiting around and many more) and then select one of the meditations for that category. I am using this app whenever I feel like it, these are short meditations and easy to fit in.

Overall I managed to meditate for a minimum of 10 minutes each day throughout the challenge and although I received a daily email as a reminder, after about 1,5 week I didn't need the email as a reminder. I was looking forward to the meditations as I was feeling positive results. It became easier to not follow my thoughts, but to see them come and go. I turned it into a pleasant and positive habit that suits me. The challenge lead to a very easy decision, I will continue meditation.

After this month of meditation, I look back on some great changes. It is easier to stay focussed, I sleep better, it is easier to let go of thoughts and not to worry about them, I feel calmer, more relaxed and most important so much more HAPPY!
Try it, take it serious, stick with it for at least 4 weeks, without judging and see what it brings you! But be careful, you might want to stick with it!








No comments:

Post a Comment