Thursday 15 May 2014

Orange my favourite colour

Lately a number of people have asked me what my favourite colour is.
Orange is my standard answer. 
I have noticed that the reactions on orange as favourite colour are different from blue. They vary from: Oh yes, I like orange as well.... to Oh really?!?....

I think blue is by far the most liked colour, probably in the world, or at least most people will tell you their favourite colour is blue. And to be honest, for years I mentioned blue as my favourite colour as well. I changed it when I moved from the Netherlands to the UK.
So, why would you change something like your favourite colour when you move country? It doesn't seem to be related, in the case of us Dutchies it might be related and I know in my case it is definitely related. Orange is our national colour, the last name of our Royal Family and off course the colour of our national Football Team and their huge supporting crowd. 

With the upcoming World Cup Football in Rio, streets will turn completely orange in the Netherlands and although football is not my favourite sport, I will miss the coloured streets and the orange colour everywhere around me. I will certainly wear something orange on the Dutch match days, as I did on Kings day and will do on any other Dutch occasion.

So why didn't I tell orange is my favourite colour when I lived in the Netherlands? Simply because I felt it is our national colour and it is reserved for those occasions. Which is strange in itself, as this is not a rule or a law, not even anything like that. It's more a cultural thing and for sure it was my own feeling.

Off course blue is nice too, but it is just not my favourite colour.
I started to think on why orange is my favourite colour, as I know this from when I was a child. I can't remember making a choice. It's more that I always liked orange. The colour itself is between yellow and red, both happy colours, but not as happy as orange.....
And then I found a little sentence on the Internet. Orange is the happiest colour by Frank Sinatra.  This made me realise it has everything to do with being happy. It is so simple. Orange is the happiest colour! 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment